Amazing isn't it?
In truth, two different weeks can't be on the same week. Don't be silly.
Okay then, the second weekly assignment! Yay!
Wait a minute... the same question is on week 7. Brilliant! Two stones with one bird! Or was it two logs with one beaver? Anyway, the assignment:
Describe yourself as a self-assesser. (assessmenter? assessesser?). Think about your entire study- and work-history. Tell about, and describe your experiences.
Okay, this is an easy one. I am a horrible self-... self-assessor (heureka!). I always, and without fail, manage to think less of myself than what the truth is.
If the reason for this interests anyone, it is because I hate advertising my own accomplishments and skills. It makes me feel bad tooting my own horn. I don't know why but that's how I work.
Thinking back about how this has affected me I can come up with a couple of examples. Starting with the bad ones:
- During the year, 2006 (or 2007), at a different english class the teacher asked the students to assess themselves. Well, I knew that I was good in english (I pretty much always have been so), but being this young humble being, I decided that putting down the top score (no. 5) didn't feel right (tooting my own horn). Offcourse, I expected the teacher to see through this gesture and give me the 5. But my own humility took a bite against myself and I just got a 4.
Now, that is in no way awful, horrible or unbearable. It simply wasn't what I really felt like I deserved. And after giving myself the number, there was no point in asking the teacher: why?
- At a different time and place. I was applying for a job, and naturally the interviewer asks me to tell him/her my best qualities and skills (assess myself). I think the reader can figure out how well that went?
But for the sake of writing it down (this is therapeutical), I (yet again) didn't feel right about the tooting horn. And that cost me the job. And now that I think about it. This happened to me twice.
Now I won't be writing down what jobs I missed, just that it happened.
Now there we had a couple situations where I missed my mark. There are a couple of good things about this too:
- In general with the tooting horns, and feeling superior to others (which I don't!) is something I just can't wrap my head around. This usually makes me humble. And that in turn helps with people in general.
I in all honesty don't know anyone who thinks I'm a complete... um... in lack of a better term, douchebag (it's not a swear, i swear!). And that is something I'm (quietly) proud about.
Your enemies enemies are your friends. Unless you have no enemies and all are either friendly or indifferent towards you.
Now then, what was the question? Describe myself as an self-assessor? Well I'm bad at it. I don't value myself as much as I probably should. I know the problem and I try to address it as much as possible when asked to assess myself.
I think that's enough for this assignment.
Untill next time. Ta-taa.
Thank you Patrick! It is really nice to read your text, it is so hilarious! Actually you saved my day!
ReplyDeleteSeriously, you should value yourself more because that would help you improve not only in English but everywhere, you know.
Kirsi