Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What week is it? 7? 8? I'm bad at these week numbers.

Hi-diddly-ho neighbor.

So... even though I just said that the questions for weeks 6 & 7 were the same... they actually aren't.

So week number 7 assignment here we go!

Describe yourself as an assessor. Ponder on your history.

Now then... then now... now then then now, now then!
Where should I start?

The basic problem I have when assessing other people, is that I tend to be too lenient.

I never actually assess people according to what they actually do, but instead, according to what I think they deserve. This usually brings in the problem of me, not having the guts, to tell the recipient what I honestly think of whatever he did.
And accordingly I rate them higher than what I actually think they deserve. Being objective about something is surprisingly hard.

Case in point:

- During several classes where the teacher has asked me to assess someones performance, I have tended to not rate them objectively but instead subjectively. This means that nine times out of ten, I give them a higher score than I think they deserve.
I also tend not to note them their faults or other things that I actually should tell them. This in itself is a problem, because if the assessmentee (?) doesn't get proper feedback about what he should do better, then he cannot better himself in that particular area.

- The latest instant that I remember this happening, was during a certain course, where all students had to give a large presentation about certain subjects. Everyone had to assess at the very least one person.
I remember thinking during the presentation, that the presenter could have moved about more and in general be more dynamic (instead of being completely static).

If I remember correctly, the feedback I wrote the presenter was mostly neutral on all subjects. And I didn't write down many comments (if at all).

I hope that is enough for this assignment. I haven't had the opportunity to assess anyone in my work life so there are no experiences there.

Until next time. Ciao.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your comments. You will be assessing yourself and Lauri tomorrow. Try to give Lauri "honest" feedback and assessment because I think Lauri can handle that.

    ReplyDelete